This is the time we get fat. As you might have noticed, I am a food lover. If we had freedom of marriage, I would marry food. Our world has a lot of faults, but let’s admit that our food isn’t one of them. And aliens would agree with that.
Fat food is like Love. Tasty, pleasant, generous, abundant, with no limit but cholesterol. It makes you feel good. And I want you guys to feel good. So I decided to share with you a recipe. Let’s call it the AGD, Ameliorated Gratin Dauphinois.
I wanted to eat scalloped potatoes for quite a while and boyfriend accepted that we cook some.
But, if potato is one of the greatest thing in the world, I wanted something between scalloped potatoes and tartiflette (Wikipedia help for non french readers). That’s what we did and it’s been our greatest success in cooking!
- 700 to 800 grams of potatoes (depends on your appetite)
- 10 cl of sour cream
- 50 cl of milk
- 150 grams of diced bacon
- An onion
- Some butter
- As much grated cheese as you want (we used about 200 grams)
- salt, pepper, garlic and cumin (this is our exotic touch, but it isn’t necessary and you can replace it by whatever spice you like)
Got it all? Perfect, let’s go!
- Peel and wash the potatoes and cut into slices (about 3 to 5 mm of thickness).
- Pour the milk, salt, pepper, garlic and cumin into a pan and bring to a boil.
- Meanwhile, chop the onion and caramelize in butter. Then add the diced bacon and, once it’s cooked, put aside.
- In the boiling milk, add the potatoes and let cook for 10 to 15 minutes, the potatoes must stay quite firm. Then remove from heat.
- Butter a baking dish and alternate layers of potatoes, diced bacon and onion mix, and grated cheese.
- In the pan, add the sour cream to the milk, stir and pour it all over the gratin.
- Strew a few knobs of butter on the top (we put a little too many, half of what we strew should be enough) and cover with a final layer of cheese.
- Heat oven to 180 degrees C (356 degrees F) and bake for an hour. And admire your masterpiece.
Bonus : Ice cream float as dessert!